Story: BROKEN….Episode 8 |Written by Ifeoluwa Oni
FIVE YEARS LATER
She was laughing intermittently as she busied herself with the jokes she was reading from an online blog. Since it was break time, she decided not to go to the company’s kitchen to eat. The company provides free food for all its staff during break, the scheme was to make it possible for all the staff to get back to work quickly before the end of break time. As they had recorded in time past where some get back to work late as a result of the far distance where they had gone to eat. It was as bad as some returning after one hour when break was already over.
She was fasting, she then decided to visit a funny blog featuring funny jokes and articles from some of the world’s most hilarious human beings, to while away time before break would be over.
She was feeling pressed, she laid down her phone on the well-furnished table that had loads of files and folders on it, and she left for the restroom which is right inside her office. The restroom is on the right hand side of the office.
Some ten minutes later, she came outside after relieving herself. She took her phone up again and continued reading. She saw an article that caught her attention immediately, she felt that every male specie must see this and learn from it.
WORDS FROM A FATHER TO A SON ABOUT MARRIAGE
1. My son, if you keep spending on a woman and she never asked you if you’re saving or investing, and she keeps enjoying the attention, don’t marry her.
2. My son, a woman could be a good wife to you, some could be a good mother to your children but if you’ve found a woman like a mother to you, your children and your family, please don’t let her go.
3. My son, don’t confine the position of your wife to the kitchen, where did you get that from? Even in our days, we had farmlands where they worked every morning… that was our office.
4. My son, if I tell you that you’re the head of the house, don’t look at your pocket; look if you will see a smile on your wife’s face.
5. My son, if you want to have a long life, let your wife be in-charge of your salary, it will be difficult for her to spend it when she’s aware of the home needs and bills to pay but if it’s in your care, she will keep you asking even when all has been spent.
6. My son, don’t ever beat your woman, the pain in her body is nothing to be compared to the wound on her heart and that means you may be in trouble living with a wounded woman..
7. My son, now that you’re married, if you live a bachelor kind of life with your wife, you will soon be single again.
8. My son, in our days, we had many wives and many children because of our large farm-lands and many harvests, there are hardly any land for farming anymore, so enhance your woman closely.
9. My son, under the cocoa tree that I did meet your mother could be your eateries and restaurants of nowadays, but remember, the closest thing we did there was to embrace each other.
10. My son, don’t be carried away when you start making money, instead of spending on those tiny legs that never knew how hard you worked to get it, spend on that woman that stood by you all along.
11. My son, when I threw little stones or whistled at the window of your mother father’s house, to call her out, it was not for sex, it was because I missed her so much.
12. My son, remember, when you say your wife has changed, there could be something you’ve stopped doing too.
13. My son, your mother rode the bicycle with me before I bought that tortoise car outside there, any woman that won’t endure with you in your little beginning should not enjoy your riches.
14. My son, don’t compare your wife to any woman, there are ways she’s enduring you too and has she ever compared you to any man?
15. My son, there is this thing you people call feminism, well, if a woman claim to have equal right with you in the house, divide all the bills into two equal parts, take one part and ask her to start paying the other part,.
16. My son, I met your mother a virgin and I took more yams to her father, if you don’t meet your wife a virgin, don’t blame her, what I didn’t tell you is that our women had prestige.
17. My son, I didn’t send your sisters to school because I was foolish like many to think a female child won’t extend my family name, please don’t make that mistake, the kind of female achievers I see nowadays has made the male-gender an ordinary tag.
18. My son, your mother have once locked up the cloth I was wearing and almost tore it because she was angry, I did not raise my hand to beat her because of a day like this, so that I can be proud to tell you I never for once beat your mother.
19. my son, in our days, our women had more of natural beauty, though I wouldn’t lie to you, some had minor paintings of their appellation mostly on their arms, the ones you people now call tattoo, but don’t forget that they didn’t expose any part of their body like your women of nowadays.
20. My son, your mother and I are not interested in what happens in your marriage, try to handle issues without always coming to us.
21. My son, remember I bought your mother’s first sewing machine for her, help your wife achieve her dreams just as you’re pursuing yours.
22. My son, don’t stop taking care of me and your mother, so that your children will take care of you too.
This is indeed food for thought. She decided to copy and send it to her brothers and some of her male friends. She particularly sent it to a male friend of hers who recently told her that he and his wife have a little misunderstanding because he didn’t allow his wife to work and the woman wants to work and it has gone bad to the extent that he beats her at any slightest provocation. She sent it to him too.
She checked the time some minutes later and discovered that the break was over and that means work must start again. Just then she heard a slight knock on the door.
“Come in.” she amswered.
“Tito, how far?”
“I am good Keziah.”
“Okay, Oga said I should drop this folder with you, he wants you to sort it out before tomorrow.”
“Alright, no problem.”
“I will catch up with you later girlfriend, bye.”
Keziah is the secretary to the CEO of the company, Timex Nigeria Limited, it is an Engineering services company for electrical transmission equipment and accessories. Tito and Keziah are in the same unit in the church, Discipleship, Mission and Evangelism unit (DME). Their friendship got to another level when they started working in the same company and they became really close. They also became prayer partners. They share each other’s burden and both always seek the face of God to find lasting solution to the problems. The CEO of the company who is a young man of twenty nine years old is also a member of their church, this young man established his own company at the age of twenty four when he finished his master’s degree programme abroad, his father financed him because he is from a wealthy home. Pastor Kay talked to him about Tito’s joblessness when she finished her youth service. He agreed to employ her because he placed Pastor Kay in high esteem and he wouldn’t want to disappoint him.
It is now three years that Tito has been working in the company. The CEO of the company is also a friend of hers but when they are in the office, they lay their friendship down and face business.
Tito stays with her uncle, Dele and his family since her working place is not far from their house. She spends most of her weekends with Pastor Kay and Sandra. Sandra had become very fond of Tito, Tito is really fun to be with, no one can be sad wherever she is.
The work Keziah brought to her was really cumbersome, she couldn’t finish it on time. The official closing time is four p.m., Keziah had to leave her behind as they normally go home together. She had to stay behind to finish the work. She called Juliana, Dele’s wife to let her know that she would be coming back late as she had a lot of work to do.
Eric Adelokun, the CEO of the company, got out of his office to go home when he heard movement in Tito’s office. He stopped walking to be sure he heard right. He was surprised as he was sure that it was past closing hour, he decided to check on her to know what had kept her from going home. He knocked on the door.
Tito was surprised that someone was still around, she thought it was the gate man but who she saw at the door surprised her. She thought he had gone home.
“T-girl, what are you still doing in the office, it is past closing time?” Eric always call her T-girl whenever they are not in the office. He calls her Tito whenever they are in the office.
“We are in the office, remember.”
Eric, knowing that she was referring to the name he just called her said. “It is true we are in the office but it is past closing time and I can call you whatever name I deem fit. Is that okay?”
“You are not serious. So, what are you still doing in the office?”
He moved forward on the chair he was sitting on and rested his hands on the table, “I asked the question first, answer me first.”
Tito moved her head and looked into his eyes that were staring into hers before answering, “Is it not you that gave me a tedious work to do and you demanded to have it tomorrow.”
“Oh my God, I am sorry dear. I didn’t intend to stress you. Sorry about that. Have you forgiven me?”
“Not so fast.” She eyed him naughtily.
“Then, what should I do to earn your forgiveness my lady?”
Tito swung her head to the right and to the left before saying, “I want you to break your teeth.”
Eric burst out laughing, “You sure are impossible T-girl. Such a weird request, maybe in another world sha, I won’t be able to fulfil that in this world.”
She changed the topic all of a sudden, “Eric, you won’t believe that Aunty Sandra got angry with me last weekend.”
“What happened?” he asked
“I mistakenly burnt her expensive lace material.”
“How did you do it?”
“I was helping her to iron it, it was not really my fault. It was Semilore that was crying inside the room, so I had to rush inside the room to bring him out but I forgot to remove the iron from the cloth I was ironing and before I got back the cloth was already burnt beyond repairs. She got angry, I begged her, pastor Kay also intervened. She said she has forgiven me but from her countenance, it showed that she was still angry. I don’t think I will go to her place this weekend.”
“You don’t have to do that, I will suggest you still go to her place. I know she has forgiven you.”
“You know I don’t like it when someone is angry with me.”
“I know dear but still try to go.”
“Okay, I will try to go. What have you been doing since that you didn’t leave the office?”
“I was doing a work which I will need tomorrow.”
“Okay, I am through with my own work. I was packing my things before you came in.”
“Are you trying to say I am boring you and you would like to go?”
Tito hit Eric’s hand, “You know I wouldn’t say that, just that I am getting hungry and I can’t afford to miss Aunty Juliana’s food. She is such a good cook.”
“Okay then, let me drop you before I go home then.”
“Shall we?” asked Tito, carrying her handbag from the table.
Eric loves being in Tito’s company, he looks forward to every moment with her. Eric dropped her off in front of her uncle’s gate.
Tito met her uncle and his wife in the sitting room, she greeted them before she entered her room to change. She came back some minutes later to eat her food. Juliana had cooked amala with egusi soup before she got back. Tito enjoyed her meal, she thanked Juliana and then she joined the couples in the sitting room to watch TV before going to her room some minutes later.
She called Eric around 9 p.m., to know if he got home safe. They talked on phone for about ten minutes before they ended the call.
Sandra was wondering why Tito didn’t show up on Friday, she waited till 12 p.m. on Saturday, thinking that she would come but when she didn’t see her, she decided to call her on phone.
“Tito, what is the problem?”
“Nothing is the problem ma.”
“Why didn’t you come?”
“I am sorry aunty, I thought you are still angry with me.”
“Tito, why are you talking like this? I thought you would have known me better. I am no longer angry with you nau. I know that you didn’t do it intentionally. That is not enough reason for you not to come.”
“I am sorry aunty, I would see you in church tomorrow and I will come next week.”
“No problem about that. See you tomorrow then.”
When Pastor Kay got back him later in the evening, Sandra told him the reason why Tito didn’t show up.
“Tito will never cease to amaze me. Why would she not come become of that? Sometimes, Tito behaves like a baby.”
“Don’t mind her jare.”
The following day, Tito went to meet Sandra after the service. She begged her to forgive her. Sandra told her she had already forgiven her before. They sat down to talk and some minutes later, Eric walked up to them, he greeted Sandra and he also sat down beside them. They talked for a long time before Sandra excused herself.
“Are you coming for the singles meeting next Saturday?” asked Eric.
“Of course yes, I will definitely come, God willing.”
“Should I pick you up?”
“I will be glad if you do that, I will be in Pastor Kay’s house.”
The following Saturday, Eric picked Tito around 1.30 p.m., the programme was scheduled to start 2 p.m.
Pastor Kay is the Pastor in charge of the youths and they always have their programme every Saturday by 2 p.m.
“There are two topics before us today and I will talk on each topic briefly because I know they are not new topics but I will still like us to talk about it again ,‘Choosing the right life partner’ and ‘God’s rules about sex’.”
“Life partner means the person that we will spend the rest of our life with. The essence of this message is to apply the spiritual fact. Nobody has the power to choose a life partner but to consult God. Somebody should open and read the book of Jeremiah 10:23 for us.” Some seconds after, a lady stood up to read.
“O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.”
“Can you hear that? The way of man is not in himself, you must seek the face of the Lord to direct your steps. There are some steps to take in choosing your life partner:
Consult God and wait to hear clearly from Him. One have to choose from among the children of God. (Genesis 24:3-4)
Do not walk together with the unbelievers.
You must be ready to pray and ask for signs.
The life partner too will be willing when he/she sees you.
If you want to hear from God, you must learn to be patient when you hear a voice speaking. Do you remember the story of Samuel in the bible?” he didn’t wait for them to reply before he continued, “read 1 Samuel 3:7-10 when you get home.
There are things you are to do:
You must know each other’s genotype.
You must know the family background
You must know the social economic status.
You must discover whether he/she is not easily provoked.
Now to the second topic for today.
Sex is the coming together of a male and female to combine their bodies together for enjoyment. Sex is a defined gift from God but for a purpose. Sex is not an abominable thing. God created sex to strengthen the cord of love. Despite God’s creation of sex, He still have some special rules, they are:
Sex should be between a married man and a married woman Hebrews 13: 4 says, ‘Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.’
The single ones must not have sex. The bible puts it that one must not have sex until the person is married. ‘Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.’(2 timothy 2:22) I Corinthians 6:18-20 also confirms it; ‘Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.’
At the end of the service, Eric and Tito decided to visit the cinema together. A new film was to be premiered that day at the cinema. They left the church around past five, the movie was to start 6 p.m. After they finished watching the movie, Eric dropped Tito in front of the house. Sandra was really mad at her that she came back late.
“You should have called me earlier that you wouldn’t be coming back home immediately after the programme. I was so much disturbed about your where about, I have been calling your number since but it was switched off. When my husband got home, he told me he saw you leaving with Eric in the evening. A lot of things had been going on in my mind since. What you did really pained me o.”
“I am sorry ma.”
Pastor Kay decided to intervene in the matter. “Tito, you should have called to inform her that you would be coming back late. You came back 9:32 p.m., where have you been since?”
“Actually, I went with Eric to the cinema to watch a movie. The movie got my attention that I totally forgot the time. Please sir and ma, I am so sorry. This wouldn’t repeat itself again, I promise.” She knelt down immediately.
Sandra rose from the settee she was sitting on and lifted Tito up. “It is okay dear. It is not that I am angry with you, I just need you to tell me your where about so that I would be rest assured.” Tito hugged her and thanked Pastor Kay. She made to leave for her room when the question of Pastor Kay held her glued to the spot she was.
“What is between you and Eric? You guys are really close.”
She took her time before she answered his question. “There is nothing between us more than friendship. Platonic friends at that.”
“I see. It is well.” Pastor Kay said.
Tito walked into her room and she called Eric immediately to know whether he had gotten home.
Author: Oni Ifeoluwa Joan
Lover of God, God’s BAE. God is involved in my race, that is why I am an EPITOME OF GRACE. Bringing to you colourful display of real life situations through my writings with the help of God.